29 April 2008

No Wind in My Sails

Well, I've set a new record for not blogging -- almost 5 months. I've kind of missed it, then again, there's a lot about my former life that I really miss.

  • Emily -- My cat of 18 years died in January and it's been tough without her. I've been meaning to write a few words about her but I've never gotten around to it. She was so much a part of my life, especially towards the end when she was very ill. One of these days I will have to write her eulogy.
  • doing art -- Several times in the last few months, I've tried to do something like painting or sculpting. But I can't. It still hurts too much to do it for fun. Call it sour grapes if you will, but I don't think it's fair that certain 'artists' are still making a fine living while I had to get a normal job. So, I've channelled my artistic drives into making my own clothes. It's not as creative in some sense (I'm too much a novice that I find commercial patterns a challenge), but it is satisfying.
  • time -- With this new career of teaching (substitute teaching right now), I have very little time to do anything. I get up at 5am and get home at 3pm exhausted, but having to do all the housework. I do know that once I get thinks settled (such as getting a full-time teaching position), things will be less stressful. But even then, I won't have the time to relax and putter around like I did.

Right now, however, I do have a few days on my hands. This is the time of standardized testing in California and the schools prefer not to have substitute teachers during this time. So, it looks like I'll be home for the next week or so. I have quite a list of things I need and want to do -- some such as filling out applications for college, and some such finishing another skirt -- so, I'll keep busy.

No comments: