07 January 2013

Do I Say Something or Not?

Today was the first day of school after a 2 week break.  It was rough!  I wasn't ready, the kids didn't want to do much, and my kitties missed.  But I made it through...

Now, the one nice thing about living an hour away is the commute.  Yes, I know it eats up a lot of my free time, but it does give me the time to think about things or to listen to audio books.  

And today's thinking topic was: What do I say?  Or don't I say anything?

Often in a cat group, a question will come up and various people will answer it.  Sometimes the advice is good and sometimes the advice is not so good.  For example, in a non-cat group, someone asked about treating kidney problems.  The standard treatment is low-protein diets.  This is what most vets, not all, will say.  I know from personal experience, low-protein diets don't work and I feed my kidney cats raw diets with about 65% protein.  My cats seem to have few of the common side-effects so I'm convinced this approach is right, although it is not widely accepted.  So here's the problem:
  • If I say something, some people may attack me.  True, alot depends on how I phrase my reply, because I do tend to say things without thinking.  This leads people to feel attacked (understandable to some degree), it really is only my bluntness.  I don't have a lot of time to write, edit, think, re-edit.  And even when I do that, my posts sometimes are misunderstood.  I have never figured it out.
  • If I don't say anything, the cat may be hurt.  If a person knows something that might save someone from pain or even death, there is a moral obligation to say something.  This should extend to a cat.
Do I say something or not?
How do I say something that is effective and not off-putting?
When shouldn't I say something?

These are questions that I struggle with and to which I have no answer.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

Do say something, but not in any alarmist way. Calmly explain your experience/solution and perhaps give links for further information on the topic. Avoid telling people that they are wrong because it only gets their backs up. They want to know they are doing the best things possible for their cat. Just tell them what you believe to be true and let them make up their own minds. It is healthy to remember that each of us is wrong sometimes -- even when we believe ourselves to be on solid ground.

L.M. Hornberger said...

Thanks for the advice! In theory I know and agree with it -- it's the execution that I have problems with. But I will try.