12 July 2014

Goodbye Facebook?

For the last year or so, I've been not blogging and instead have been writing about cats, my job, and my life in general over on Facebook.  That has been interesting, and I'll say more later, but I think it's over.  Several days ago, I noticed Facebook redid the chat module and added something about your friends' activities on the top of it.  This little addition was one of those dynamic components -- hover over and a box pops up.  And ever since this appeared, I have had issues using Facebook.

A typical problem is what happened just now.  I go to Facebook, the top bar loads and tells me I have 45 new items and 2 messages.  NOTHING else loads.  The rest of the page is blank.  I click on the items and while I get the drop down box, it never loads the updates.  Ditto with the messages.  I click on 'Home' and likewise, it loads the top bar and never loads anything else.

Several people suggested I dump the cached pages and cookies, so I did that last night.  (And now I have to remember all kinds of things the cookies took care of...ugh.)  So, when I turned on my laptop this morning, I expected Facebook to work, but it didn't.

I know the problem is probably mine.  I have a 5yr old laptop, so that is old by technological standards.  I connect via dial-up, which is both slow and also old.  I have old software, which I can't update easily because I'm on dial-up.

So, what to do?

Right now, I'm thinking of just forgetting all about Facebook.  I've had some very nasty experiences and met some very nasty people on there.  For example, I help a cat who was going to be destroyed get to a rescue, so I am told the only reason I do this is for the publicity.  Then again, I have met some truly lovely people who I don't want to just leave and through my cat health group and other groups I have helped some cats and owners and have helped save a number of cats.

So, for the next few days or week, I'm going to try to forget about Facebook, work on doing things I need and want to do, and return to blogging... assuming I can get this to work as I see a red banned that says "An error occurred while trying to save or publish your post."  Hmmm...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say I always wish you the best Linda. Thank you for all the help you have given to me too! Take care of yourself and I hope you have a happy summer with Tom and the fur babies! XOXO Joane

L.M. Hornberger said...

Thanks, Joane! Glad I could help.