28 October 2020

Cats: Basic Cat Medical Supplies

 Here is a list of the basic medical supplies I keep on hand.  While this is not for everyone (see below), this is the bare minimum any breeder or "high volume" rescue person should have on hand IMHO.


For infections:

Amoxicillin 

Clavamox 

Baytril

Famciclovir 

Colloidal silver 

Goldenseal 


For eyes:

NeoPolyBac 

NeoPolyDex

Ofloxin

Gentimicin

Optixcare 

GenTeal 


For digestive issues:

Slippery elm bark 

Cerenia

Enema kit (cat with megacolon)


In general:

Thermometer 

Lactate ringers

Subq fluid sets

Syringes 

Needles

Cones 

I also have a close working relationship with my vet.  She will prescribe drugs because I have said I need them - she trusts my judgement as to what it is and if I can deal with it.

I've posted a list like this before and have gotten negative comments, because of some of the items.  But here's the truth - if you are going to be either in rescue or a breeder, then you have to know how to do basic medical things and have the supplies.  If you are nervous about treating your cats, then go to a vet.

No comments: